The Bailey House
Nahanni worked closely with the Salvation Army to build the first transitional men’s centre in the Northwest Territories.
Nahanni Construction took on the Bailey House as guaranteed maximum price contract. The project consisted of a partnership with Diavik Diamond Mine to fund and build a facility that has been needed for a long time in Yellowknife.
Nahanni played a large role in this project undertaking a majority of work with a minimal amount of sub-contractors. Electrical, mechanical, and pile driving were the only parts of the job Nahanni’s staff did not complete in-house. The project called for a 14,000 square foot facility consisting of 32 rooms, the Salvation Army Thrift Shop, and administrative offices to be built on the main thoroughfare through Yellowknife, NT. The site was in a high traffic area with minimal staging on site so Nahanni had to plan logistics tightly to ensure minimal traffic interruptions while completing the project on time.
How We Helped
Nahanni took on the role of general contractor and project manager over the course of the project. Working closely with the Salvation Army, Nahanni accommodated various changes throughout the building process to provide the best possible end product. Nahanni staff fabricated and erected all structural steel for the project on site with certified tradesmen. This saved the client a considerable amount of money and allowed for better control of the end product. Because the facility was sorely needed in the community and budgets were tight, Nahanni donated $200,000 of in kind work to this project. Nahanni also donated all advertising, construction signs, and interior signage throughout the project.
- This is the first men’s transitional housing facility in the Northwest Territories.
- Nahanni donated $200,000 in-kind labour to complete the project on budget.
- Nahanni delivered this project on schedule and under budget.
- The completed project included a new 21,108 square foot facility consisting of 32 rooms, an administration area, and the Salvation Army Thrift Shop.
- Nahanni donated all advertising, construction signage, and final interior signage for this project.